Before we had kids I made 8 of these for Ed so he could share them with his coworkers.
Let me repeat, before we had kids.
I have had a number of people write and ask me for this recipe recently.
So I told Ed that I thought I better make one so I can snap a picture.
He didn't argue. He even took the boys outside to play in the snow so I could get to work.
It is his favorite and it makes me soooo happy to have something that I know he loves.
French Silk Pie
pastry for one pie crust ( I use the refrigerated store brand - my grandma swore by them)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
3/4 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product
1 1/2 cups sweetened Whipped Cream (I use plain old cool whip)
Chocolate curls, peppermint crumbs, or mini chocolate chips for topping if desired
1. Bake pastry and let cool
2. Beat sugar and butter in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in vanilla and chocolate
4. Gradually beat in egg product on high speed until light and fluffy (at least 3 minutes) - I make sure to do this long and hard so that the sugar granules dissolve.
5. Pour in pie crust and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours but not longer than 24.
6. Finally, spread the whipped topping and garnish with chocolate curls or peppermint schnibbles :)