This past weekend I escaped active mama duty and surrounded myself in the quaint New England autumn country side, with other mamas who strive to make the most out of this season of our life. And as we went around the circle to introduce ourselves we shared the ages of our children. I honestly was distracted for a few people's introductions as I realized that on Tuesday I would have to say I was the mom of a 7 year old, 3 1/2 year old, and 9 month old. 7 YEARS OLD. WOW!
That is school aged.
That is big kid.
That means I am no longer a new mama but a mom with more experience....right? ugh.
That means I am moving from the mama who is called upon for more physical needs (food, diapers, holding, soothing, bathing) to now dealing with more of the emotional and "tough" stuff that comes along with raising children.
Charley, 7 years ago your daddy and I were no longer just a man and a woman, a husband and a wife, we became a mama and daddy. We became a team. We became parents.
There is something special about the role each child plays in a family...the first born, the middle child, the third, the youngest...etc.
You sir, are our first born. And you get the glory of all the firsts. But you also get the over protected and over thought out parenting. We aren't always relaxed and we sometimes realize what we should have said, done, or decided after the fact.
But you made us a mommy and daddy and that morning was so life changing it is hard to put into words. And we can see that you are turning into a pretty darn cool person!
As we celebrate your "Family Birthday" this year (every other year you get a friend party or a family celebration) we celebrate what a great young man you are becoming.
So here are 7 things I love about you.
1. I LOVE what a great big brother you are to both your little brother and little sister. Your hand reaches out for Henry's naturally. You think about him and try to include him more often than you should have to. You run and get diapers, give hugs, and talk to your sister with such love.
2. You are a learner. You get excited to learn. You have become a reader and this makes me SO happy.
3. Your LOVES are all BOY. You love LEGOS, StarWars, Nerf guns, boy scouts, and playing outside. You have dirt under your nails most days and holes in the knees of your jeans.
4. You love to play games and you really like to win.
5. You have always travelled well, slept well, ate well, and enjoyed family outings. You make going places and doing things fun. One evening I was feeling like not such a great mom and your daddy said, "You are doing a great job and you know that because we can take our kids anywhere and we don't have a fear that they are going to make a scene or be a handful." You have become the strongest role model for your little brother. And eating out, movies, plays, 7 hour car rides with just mama, going with mama for a haircut or pedicure, visiting relatives, and tagging along for adult meetings are a breeze when you are along for the ride.
6. You are up for learning new things and adventures. Soccer, flag football, basketball this winter. Tying your shoes, skateboards, crafts, baking, and more.
7. Your awareness that you are growing up and able to do more independently but your patience with us as we aren't quite ready to let you bike to school and other "bigger" kid privileges.