Thursday, September 29, 2011

Just call me MEGA Science MAMA!

Maybe you remember this...


The new friend we found on our journey home after dropping Charley off on the first day of school. Ed questioned me..."What are you going to do with that?"
After some investigating and emptying the jar out daily for many days...because that thing eats milkweed and then poops it out like an expert, I realized that the fuzzy orange and black ones hibernate over the winter and do their magic in the spring...at least I think this is correct. So we let the fuzzy guy go.

But our good friends, who always have buckets with toads, frogs, turtles, and more taking up residence in their yard, gifted us with two monarch caterpillars. One of them didn't make it.

But one of them wound itself up into it's cocoon before we knew it. And then one afternoon....we saw this.



I was amazed at how real this life process was. I was so disappointed that I didn't see any of the steps actually take place. Everything happens so quickly. But how very cool the whole thing was. Next spring we will definitely be doing this again!








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails