Monday, November 29, 2010

This time of year it is worth the drive...

I have put blogging aside for a few too many days to relish the family. I am disappointed that I didn't do a Thanks post of some sort. I haven't pulled out my camera much...and life just keeps getting busier, even though I swore that we would commit less and savor more.

Our Thanksgiving travels provided numerous moments where I caught my breath and realized how much I have to be grateful for. Family, friends, family, health, children, health, family, and the experiences that we are able to have because we make the effort.

This time of year always gets busy with travel. I grew up getting to see everyone.... great aunts, cousins, grandparents, friends...and our family Christmas moved to any day that worked for our family. We still had the lazy day in our PJ's, opening presents leisurely, playing with our new toys and gadgets, and enjoying the holiday cozy and together. But sometimes it didn't fall on the actual holiday. Mom wrote a letter to Santa and explained where we would be and when we wanted Santa to visit.

So this year for Thanksgiving we were so blessed to be able to spend a Thanksgiving day with Ed's family and another with my family. Both are so special to all of us that I can't imagine not being at both. It does mean we spend a lot of time in the car. But sitting back and watching Charley totally in heaven playing with is second cousins, devouring a sampling of the many desserts at Aunt Katy's, slipping in to see my Grandpa spur of the moment, playing games with my family until the wee hours of the night, watching Ed nap in the middle of it all after he makes everyone a spectacular bloody mary, and listening to the pitter patter of three little boys run laps at my mom and dads - these moments are all worth the time spent driving.

This year the boys didn't need to watch any movies during our 14 hours in the car. Amazing. And don't ask what they did because I really have no idea how it happened.

We are home now and we are getting back into the routine, which always takes a few days. Everyone is moving a little slower and crabby from all the routines that got thrown off.

But again, this time of year, more than any time of the year is when I like to see family. And being pregnant this year throws a twist in things. The 14 hours at 32 weeks went okay, but man did I have some aches and pains...it makes me fear the travel coming up around 36 weeks. We'll just have to wait and see what the doc says.

But it was good. The turkey. The green bean casseroles. The sweet potatoes. The pie. The cards. The reconnecting and catching up. The moments of quiet and the moments of chaos.

Thanksgiving was good.

And now as I get back into a groove...I will resume a more regular blog routine. Lots to share. Advice needed. Life to reflect on. And thanks to be given.

But for now...grilled cheese to make, soup to heat up, and my feet will be tapping...I threw three songs that are pretty rowdy on my blog playlist...if you need a little pump up cleaning music...give it a try.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! You are such a trooper...14 hrs at 32 weeks? Wow! Sounds like a wonderful visit with family. :)

Kim

The Tompkins Family said...

How are you already 32 weeks?! Time is flying. I can't wait to hear if you have a boy or a girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails