Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What's for dinner? - White Chili


By around 3pm each day my mom, my sister, or I have generated an email that inquires "What's for dinner?"  As the meal maker in the family it looms over my head most days.  I try to keep it interesting.  Part of my joy as a stay at home mom is trying new things and conquering little kitchen tasks.  I have tried various strategies to help make the question "What's for dinner?" a little less daunting by getting in with a "Meal Co-op" and planning out a month of meals.  I have a freezer that is fully stocked...but still, I find that by 3pm I am wondering what my mom and sister and friends are making for dinner.

Anyways, I have also enjoyed sharing some of my favorite EASY recipes.  I have heard from friends and family that they have enjoyed some of my recipes.  I put a button up top that links you to many of the recipes I have posted.  I have tried to photograph the process of meal making like some of the big cooking blogs (Pioneer Woman and Smitten Kitchen etc.) but I just can't do the food justice with a picture.  And it is keeping me from sharing recipes - and that is silly.

So from now on when you see the picture above on a post - know that you are getting a recipe that will be a standard in our house.  It will be on the recipe card that has food spilled on it.  It won't ever make it back into the properly filed recipe slot in my box...because it is used and loved too often.

So tonight...I will share our favorite White Chili recipe.  I got it from my cousin Molly.  I think she entered it in a chili cook off recently but I haven't heard how she did.

So here you go:

White Chili

1 T. Olive Oil
1 lb. cubed, cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup onion
1 4 oz. can green chilies (chopped)
1 cup of chicken broth
1 19oz. can Great Northern White beans
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. cilantro
1/4 t. red pepper
6 oz. cream cheese

Brown chicken in olive oil.  (I actually boil my chicken breasts in a pot of water, I find they cook great, stay moist, and I don't overcook them)
Add all ingredients except cream cheese to a crock pot. 
Cook on high 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Turn to low to melt cream cheese in
Serve immediately when cream cheese is melted!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delish! I'm going to make it this weekend! :) KD

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm excited about your button, or whatever that is called. I no longer need to email you with my recipe requests!

Kim

p.s. Love the "What's for dinner?" picture!

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Yum! I posted a green chili recipe the other week that's super quick and easy. This looks fabulous, though. Who can say no to melted cream cheese?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails