Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Nuk Intervention


This is my baby.  Well, he is not really my baby anymore.  He isn't really a toddler either.  He is pretty much a preschooler who isn't quite old enough to go to preschool.  And it was time to end the nuk addiction.  We ended Charley's nuk addiction at the age of 2 and it was the hardest thing we had to battle with him.  We I kept putting off Henry's nuk intervention but finally I decided it was time.  It just so happens that I chose a night when Ed had to work late so I had to do the first evening all by myself. 

With Charley we did a similar thing..I bought a box of presents and told him that in the morning he got to pick one of the presents to open.  The truth about this strategy - neither boy could give a crap about the presents during their breakdowns.  The presents were my way of making myself feel better during the horror of the cry out and my way of telling myself they would love me again in the morning. 

The first night Henry cried for about an hour and 20 minutes.  He finally fell asleep when I went in and told him a story about fishing with grandpa Bob.  It had lots of monotoned counting...we counted worms as he scooped them in the garden, we counted fish that their friend Paul had caught, and we counted eagles that flew overhead.  Counting.    Henry woke up around 4 that morning but a book on tape put him back to sleep and he actually slept until close to 7am...I think. 

The next night we skipped nap and he fell asleep with a story within 10 minutes.  Heavenly.  He woke though at 5 and was up for the day.

The third night he cried for a while but fell asleep on his own. 

And so it went.  The box of presents slowly dwindled and soon they were gone.  He still asks for a nuk but he doesn't demand it.  He is able to fall asleep some nights on his own.  We had a babysitter one night and he and she survived and was sleeping within 30 minutes of her putting him down.  However, we do still struggle most nights with getting him to settle down.  Dropping the naps has helped him fall asleep much more peacefully and timely (more on that in a bit). 

The big question...will we give the next little miracle a nukkie like we did Charley and Henry.  I am guessing we will.  I love that they have something that soothes them.  I love that it is something I can take away..where a thumb is that much harder to take away.  And with breastfeeding I really think they sometimes need to suck more since sucking isn't always as vital.  And I don't want to be a human pacifier.  So I am guessing that the horror of this month will pass and come January, when this new little family member arrives...we will swaddle that babe up in his little burrito wrap and pop that HUGE green nukkie into his/her mouth and sigh as we gaze at the miracle that at that moment rests peacefully - forgetting that 2 years from that very moment we would be asking ourselves WHY! WHY! WHY! did we let the nuk enter our lives one more time. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha. cute post! RR

Heather (One Take On Life) said...

I have had both a nuk and thumb sucker. Thumb sucker's are way harder to break and doing it at 2 or 3 years old is super hard. Mine finally stopped at 4 years old.
I say go go with the nuk with the next one if that is what works. Maybe they won't want anything:)

Shell said...

It's so nice when they are babies, though.

My 2 year old still has his and I need to take it away. :(

Shell said...

It's so nice when they are babies, though.

My 2 year old still has his and I need to take it away. :(

shellycoulter said...

Yeah...our babes love/d theirs too! :) It does stink to take them away...but it is worth it if it helps them sleep/calm those first couple of years!

congrats again! Are you guys going to find out if its a boy or girl? My hubby and I were talking the other day about if/when we have a 3rd baby. I kind of want to wait to find out because if it was a 3rd boy then I think I would be slightly disappointed for a second (that sounds horrible but is honest)...on the other hand if I found out it was a girl then I would freak out! I know boys and love boys and the thought of raising a girl kind of scares the crap out of me. Haha!

Congratulations! Enjoy being pregnant ---it is such a special time and goes so fast in the big picture! Cant wait to see pictures of the new little one with two proud big brothers!

Rebecca said...

It petrifies me to take those things away...I'm pretty sure they'll be taking them to college!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails