Friday, December 4, 2009

Frugal Friday #3

We just returned from the library..this is the scene in our house.


Don't forget that one of the most valuable resources available to you for FREE is the public library. When I taught I was saddened by how many children don't have the opportunity to go and pick out books. Not because there isn't a library, but rather it isn't a choice their parents make.

So many parents were frustrated over getting their children to read at night for their 20 recommended minutes. I grew up with the library as a weekly errand stop with my mom. To this day I use the online reservation/ and renewal service. I admit that going to the library and expecting to find a book on the shelf is overwhelming and not likely. However, sitting down once in a while and opening Amazon or Barnes and Noble's website and bouncing back and forth reserving all the books that look great on the top 100 list is a great way to do it. Then all you have to do is walk in, present your card, and you are gifted a stack of books to devour. Or if you are a mama who needs some time alone...grab a hot chocolate or coffee and go browse a bookstore with a little pad of paper in hand and write down all the ones you would fill your cart with. Did you know many libraries will allow you to recommend books if they don't own them already? They do!

And your children - they will love it! At school they can't wait to go and exchange their books...imagine the excitement of being able to pick out more than one. And parents - the number one way to gift a child with the love of reading is to read to them. Read all types of books. Read books over and over. And let them see you reading! As a mom who reads to both boys nightly (well Ed reads many many nights too) but to have different books makes reading fun for me too.

FREE! -- If you organize it and have a place to keep the books. I find when we go to the library weekly we have less late fees. And when we do get a late fee...I like to think that we are supporting the public resource (Yes, Ed, let's think like that!). Thinking along those lines...Has anyone seen the book "Watch out Jabba the Hut" I am looking for that one momentarily.

So if you go to the library give yourself a pat on the back and bring a little plate of cookies for those lovely workers who check in and out those books. If you haven't been to the library in weeks, months, or sadly years....get your butt up and go! You will be surprised how quick and easy it can be.

Tis the season to cuddle up with a book by the light of the Christmas tree...with your children, with your husband, or with a glass of wine. Cheers!

** oh! And note the book sitting amongst the kid books: "Scream Free Parenting". WHA ha ha ha! That would be my evil laugh. Patience...always a goal in my house. I DO NOT SCREAM but I thought it might give me some ways to keep my cool.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails