Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Anticipated Snow Day!

Back in the day when I would head out each day to change the world, inspire little ones to create and expand their knowledge base, to get along and socialize in friendly terms when shoved into an overcrowded classroom....when winter arrived it meant so did the chance of the always anticipated snow day.  It has been nearly 2 1/2 years since I have been in the classroom - and boy do I miss it.  I especially miss it on days like today...when you wake up early anticipating the early morning calling tree wake up call.  Since the phone didn't seem to be working - I would turn on the tv to watch the scroll at the bottom of the screen.  And as Ed would step out of the shower he would hear a squeal or a groan.  The SNOW DAY is a perk in the teaching world - as long as it doesn't happen too often and soon you are making up days in June! 

This morning I sat up too early in bed watching the scroll.  And even though it didn't determine my day like in the past - I was watching in anticipation for all my friends...I had my list of districts who I was rooting for.   Ding!  Ding! Ding!  Everyone I know of in the MN area was a winner today.  (Meg you are the only one I am not sure what district you teach for :( ).  I squealed with excitement and will bounce a little today knowing that all of you were gifted a day to be lazy at home with your kiddos...or busy wrapping, baking, and whatever else is on your enormous to do list.  Maybe your weekend will leave a little more wiggle room for relaxation since you have today to get a little done. 

Snow days - I don't think the feeling will ever go away.  And I anticipate the return of the actual Snow Day experience as a hard working teacher - especially this season when the kids are hyped on the holiday energy, holiday treats, and the holiday stress of Santa watching their every move (does anyone else notice that this threat doesn't always carry any weight!? and sometimes things are even more exaggerated...what is this all about?).  A blog for another day.  To those that have to / or had to venture out - drive safe and slow...no hurries.  Tell whoever is your destination to bite it if they give you a hard time.  It is important to be slow and safe on days like this. 

Love, Me

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails