Friday, November 20, 2009

Frugal Food Friday #2


You will probably notice that one of the ways I save is by using our freezers. Our freezer in the kitchen is packed full and our deep freezer in the basement is too full too. I am campaigning for another freezer because I really think it saves us time and money.

Tips today:

1. When you buy things like applesauce or spaghetti sauce buy them in large containers. If you are like us - we don't eat a ton of sauce on our spaghetti. And sometimes we head out of town and the applesauce or spaghetti sauce go bad before I am able to use it. Why buy large containers...well for the price. It is way cheaper to buy a large jar than a smaller jar. So take the large jar and portion it out in zip bags...I usually do one cup servings or two if I know I will want more. If you lay them flat in the freezer they will freeze in nice flat packs. They will stack easy. They pop right out of the bag when you want to thaw or they can thaw in the bag in the fridge over night. When I had baby food eaters I bought applesauce in a large organic jug and then froze it in ice cube trays, popped them out, and stuck them all in one Ziploc bag and when I needed a serving I just grabbed what I needed. That works for any baby food you make.

2. A cheaper way to get a nice amount of chicken for soups, casseroles, enchiladas etc...buy a whole chicken. Wash it, throw it in the crock pot with a cup of water, and cook it for 8 hours. When you get home you can take the chicken off the bone and you have yourself way more for way less money. I think you can buy a small Golden Plump Chicken for $3.59 at Target. And organic ones or cage free birds there are only a few bucks more...I hate taking the meat off the bone when it is all hot and juicy and slimy. So I usually put it in the fridge over night and take it off the next day when it is cold. But it is way cheaper...

3. And yesterdays potato egg recipe really is quite affordable. Give it a try. I dare you!

This week I am excited that green grapes were on sale at Target for $0.49 a pound on Monday! And they were good. Sometimes grapes aren't good ones - these were.

I also found today that Nathan's hot dogs...our favorite were on sale for $1.79 a pack...instead of their normal $3.99-4.99 a pack. I bought three packs. Threw two in the freezer and have one ready for the boys.

2 comments:

April said...

great idea about the chicken, never thought of that!

Anonymous said...

good idea about freezing applesauce and spagetti sauce. they always go bad in the jars!!!! i will def. start doing that! and the baby food stuff-will be SO helpful for me in about 2 months. eee RR

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails