Friday, August 28, 2009

Give us insight...

So today we went up and had lunch with daddy. He had forgotten his cell phone at home today..which I hate because then I feel like I can't get a hold of him. Which might be the point of leaving it home, wink! wink!

During our lunch Ed asked me about the f-a-i-r...and if there was any interest. He and I, I guess, are surrounded by people who do the state fair - big. They take a day off work and take the kids...and some even take an extra day off work to go back with just their spouse. I guess, Ed and I don't get it. Maybe we weren't raised with the "State Fair" experience. I know Wisconsin has a great one too. I sure would love to go and eat...but the crowds, the hot, and the dirty just don't appeal...what are we missing? What is the draw...there are even people who move away but travel back far distances to come back for this event. Enlighten us...maybe next year we will give it a try. Or maybe you are like us and you don't get it either...or maybe you don't go because...I don't know. Share...either email or comment! So curious...keeps me up at night.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Feel the same way as you, we don't get it either. I've been a few times and still don't see the appeal. But I didn't see the appeal in the WI state fair either. Summerfest was a different story:)

Raina and Andy said...

we don't get it either. are you gonna go? ha RR

Meg said...

We've been going the last few years! The kids love it. We just wander around, the kids go on a few rides, the big slide, and sit on EVERY tractor there. ;) I enjoy the corn on the cob, a state fair pronto pup and Martha's Cookies. I'd go just for her. Ha! :)

You should try it!

Peggy, Jason and Lily said...

we are INTO it! ha. people watching is PRICELESS (at least in WI it is), the food is fatty, and the big slide was a hit with lily. j remembers watching the piglet races when he was a little boy and when i was little we did not go...so i'm not sure when i got into it. only go once--only for a few hours and after that...i'm with you--it's lost it's appeal!

April said...

I don't get it either!

Grandma Charlie said...

For me, when I was a kid, 4H was the other social life besides church and the relatives. And at the end of the summer we entered things we had made for the projects we were in. Mine, no surprise, were clothing and food! The Calumet County Fair is always Labor Day weekend, and if school had started, we always had entry day off. My mom still has gone up until a few years ago.
Sadly, I didn't often take the kids to our Bayfield County Fair, which is this weekend, except the year Sara was in 4H, and took her bunnies.
The big deal with the State Fair was if you won best of the best you could enter it in the state fair, though we never went to that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails