Friday, December 5, 2008

Sleeping through the night

So at 9 months we did the whole...let Henry fuss it out so he would learn to self soothe and put himself to sleep. He did really well with it and after one or two nights he was doing great. And he never cried hard. But in the last 2-3 weeks it seems he has been waking up every 2-3 hours again. And his cries and screams were so hard and sounded so painful. He didn't want his nuk and since we eventually travelled for Thanksgiving I ended up nursing him so I wouldn't wake up everyone at my parents house. He has yet to be sick and he has been poking at his ear so I thought Wednesday night....."This is enough! I am taking him in. He can have his ears checked and I can hear from the doctor again that it is okay to let him cry." So we went in and the doctor checked his ears ---- completely healthy. Looked in his throat...looked good. And then he had a little talk with Henry about not needing to nurse in the night. Henry just stared at him wide eyed, giggled, and then nuzzled into my chest. HA! Then he said, "Maybe he is teething." WHAT! I totally forgot that he could be teething. Sure enough he is getting his third lower tooth. He has 6 teeth already, way more than Charley ever had at this point. I just was telling a mom friend, first time mom, who had a tough night some ideas on what to do when baby won't stop crying. And I said to her, sometimes when you are dealing with the immediate situation and so into the moment you forget about the obvious solutions. So last night as I headed out for my monthly Bunko game. I told Ed that along with the bottle make sure you give him a little motrin.

Drum roll please.....

He slept through the night! So the poor guy has been teething. I feel awful that the most obvious reason wasn't so obvious. But I am thankful that we don't have to do the cry it out thing again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails