Monday, April 2, 2012

meals for our week...and a few rambling thoughts.


Sunday evening I whipped up Thai Peanut Noodles from the Best Bites cookbook I got for Christmas. I accidentally put too much (Tablespoons instead of teaspoons) of the Sriracha chili sauce in so it was a tad too spicy. But Ed and I both gobbled it up. If it hadn't been spicy I think the boys would have eaten it.

I have to say that I actually took the time to buy fresh ginger, green onions, and cilantro...oh and limes! And those flavors really made the difference. I'm learning.  In the past I would have skipped some of those.  But I am using ginger, green onions, and cilantro in other recipes this week!  One of the things I love about this cookbook is how it leads you to recipes with rollover ingredients that you buy but don't use up in one recipe.

The rest of the week we will roll over a few of those ingredients and have...

Honey-Ginger Glazed Tilapia with veggies and brown rice.

Easy Veggie Stir Fry with fruit salad

Black beans and rice with Chicken and apple salsa.

I have been slacking on meals.  If the "you are what you eat" were true....we would be a family of pancakes.  But my sister who is home on maternity leave juggling the transition to two kiddos has been making fun recipes.  And my friend Jessie who could easily succumb to kid food every night because her husband works late has things thrown in the crock pot all the time.  So thanks to Raina and Jessie for inspiring me to get my arse in gear in the kitchen.  Results from the gym will more likely happen if I am more thoughtful at our dinner table.  So here's to the first week of April being the kick off to better dinner, whether daddy works late or not. 

Today:
-It is good to be home and getting back to the routine.
-Hit the gym already and am ready for my cup of coffee.
-Charley heads off to school.
-Sydney is still sleeping (7:45) so I think it will be a one nap day for her.  Which means after the coffee and a brisk walk to get Charley to school...we will hit the library or the driveway...because look who is about to master walking.

And I want to share some blue eyes too.  I am trying to do the one post a day thing...but I have more and I have such little restraint.  So we'll see what pops up on here today.  These are from a train ride at the zoo with Grandpa.





It's Monday!
And it is going to be a great day!  I can feel it.

What's your plan?


4 comments:

Raina and Andy said...

i think you meant....what is your plan not play right? well either way our play will be trains and thomas the train match cards. our plan will be (maybe) the library. we might do a salad bar dinner at ruby tuesdays before the final basketball game tonight. could you possibly not blog just 1x/day but like 3 x/day every day? thanks. love those baby blues!! my kids have them too-thanks to our husbands. RR

jessica said...

Looks like a great week to eat at your house!

The Tompkins Family said...

Can I come over for dinner?! Everything sounds so good (minus the cilantro!).

Today I worked out, had a nice big breakfast with the girls, got ready and ran errands, including a big grocery shop, home for lunch and naps, vacuuming, prepping for supper, some outside playtime...the day is flying by!

Hope yours is good!

Barb said...

Work was a BEAR today when the computer didn't work up to its capacity and lots of time was spent on chats with information technology and program (do I dare say) geeks. Then I came home and the internet was down...what? Could Kansas just win now?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails