Sunday, November 6, 2011

Where's Sydney? The new reality around here.

We have had a few moments lately where we find ourselves saying,
"Where's Sydney?"
Usually, we are just playing the game with her. 
But maybe once or twice she has scooted herself into a nook and for a second...don't worry, only a second, our hearts stop beating as we scan the room for her. 
But then we find her with her cheesy, proud, scrunchy nosed smile on her face.


And we shout, "There she is!"


And then she laughs.

And if you try to coax her to come out from her little hiding spot.  She gets super excited.  Scrunches up her nose and shakes her head back and forth at you.  And throws in a squeal for drama.


So then you go back to folding laundry,
thinking that she is in a safe little nook. 
But then you look over and you see this.




And you realize,
no matter how well you sweep, vacuum, and crawl around looking for little bitty schnibbles...she's going to find them.


And her little pincher fingers will grab that itty bitty crumb and wave it in your face...
almost taunting your cleaning skills.
So you firmly, say "no no yucky."
And take the little piece of sand away...wondering how in the world she even found that.
And she laughs at you (with her cheesy scrunchy nosed smile).



And then continues on her journey.
Determined to find each and every piece of dirt that has been trekked into our house.

Note to neighborhood friends:  if you stop over, you might find a vacuum or broom in my hand...or my nose to the ground...racing to find things before she does.

Life has gotten really busy around here.
Fun.  but busy.

I was stressing over this new stage with some friends and they were trying to tell me when they showered.  But I had to explain to them that it wasn't so much the shower that is stressing me out.  I can get up earlier and shower if that is the issue.   Or she can be plopped in the exosaucer or jumper for those few moments.  It is the hour each morning when I have to feed, clothe, pack up, and get all of us out of the house.  When I am scurrying around looking for signed permission slips, lost mittens, while packing a lunch, and wiping a tushy.

I honestly don't remember with Charley.  But thinking back - what could have been so tough.  We didn't have millions of Lego's and crumbs from other kids.  Things were childproofed to the max.  With Henry we weren't on as much of a schedule so I could just relax and get dressed, feed them breakfast, clean up...at whatever pace worked.  We did have more little toys but nothing as extreme as now.  And he took a nuk and I think when he had the nuk in he wasn't as tempted to put things in his mouth.

This time... I HAVE to get Charley out the door for school.  They need to eat.  Pajamas must come off and outfits need to be assembled and put on.  And so I can't plop Miss Syd in a pack and play or exosaucer for an hour.  And the toys...the Legos and the teeny tiny Star Wars guy accessories.

We are dealing.  We are thriving at moments.  But last week, I did find myself realizing at the end of each day that I needed to give myself a break.   Right now the laundry might not get folded as timely as usual...oh heck, let's be honest.  This hasn't impacted the laundry, the laundry is always mounded on the couch.  But, it does give me a valid excuse instead of the lame ones I have used in the past. 

Thanks Miss Sydney.  I look forward to watching you explore the world on your little sore red knees these next few days, weeks, months.  This will slow me down.
I will be more present.  I must.


6 comments:

Raina and Andy said...

hee those are teh cutest pictures. i can just picture it. can you use that baby gate thing you let u s borrow (like the one around your elliptical) and gate her in while you get boys ready? set up in circle so she is still "part" of things, with toys and she can crawl around a little still. We did that with eli and we only had 1 hahaha!

Anonymous said...

While it seems like things must have been so much easier with Charley, it was all new and had it's own challenges. Now you have all sorts of new tricks up your sleeve, confidence you didn't have before, and boys who can help themselves with some things. So, basically, things were probably chaos before, but you just don't remember. Ha! :) Also, I think babies and toddlers should be hired (like dogs) to find missing things and hide evidence of crimes. Seriously! Kim

Jen said...

Oh my gosh!!! She is just the cutest!!! Love the pictures and the way you write I feel like I really know her personality.

My dad and stepmom took our two boys overnight so we just had the baby. We kept saying how easy it was to have just one. And to imagine we thought things were sooo tough when we had our first baby.

Jen said...

Oh my gosh!!! She is just the cutest!!! Love the pictures and the way you write I feel like I really know her personality.

My dad and stepmom took our two boys overnight so we just had the baby. We kept saying how easy it was to have just one. And to imagine we thought things were sooo tough when we had our first baby.

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

a little dirt never hurt anyone. And I liked the part about the laundry. Glad to hear that both you and I are on the same battle grounds when it comes to the laundry. The only time it ever really gets put away is if we are expecting company.

Rebecca said...

I just can't get over the cuteness!! That little scrunchy smile is the BEST!

It's good to hear that you're giving yourself a break...things will be fine and it will all get done eventually. In the end, the small things are what we need to get past to have time for the big things (which really seem like small things, but are so missed when they're gone).

Pretty sure that didn't make any sense!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails