Monday, June 20, 2011

The Greatest Gift...


"They're all you'll have someday," my mother used to say when we would bicker, fight, or strike one another, as we did with some frequency. I always thought there was something pathetic about the way she'd say that, as though our siblings would be the sad leftovers on the plate of life, scraps of fat, puddles of congealed gravy. But as I say it to my own three children now - and I do, I do, almost despite myself- I realize that she meant something quite different. And I remember what I felt deep in my bones when I was pregnant with my third child, that she was an extraordinary lucky person, not because she would have my husband and me as parents, but because we had the foresight to provide her with these two brothers, who, in the natural order of things, would still be part of her life after we were gone.  The greatest gift I believe I've given my children is one another. 

-- Anna Quindlen 
Siblings 

6 comments:

Laura said...

Ahhh...making me teary. :) So sweet.

Barb said...

...and I said to Henry "did you play King of the Mountain?" and he said no. But they did and I missed it. All the special moments last week are keepsake treasures. Once again it's so quiet in our house.

jessica said...

loved reading this post, great way to start the day!

The Mama said...

This was beautiful!!! Love it!

Heather (One Take On Life) said...

So true. It is strange but I was just thinking about this last night.
I do share with my oldest this tidbit because he can get it, especially when he isn't seeing eye to eye with his sister.
Just love that picture of Henry with that smile, adorable!

The Tompkins Family said...

What a beautiful quote.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails