Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Beets Me!

The Girl Creative
This post is now part of New Friend Friday and Friday Follow!  Welcome! 
Only follow if you like what you read.




When your children are born you anticipate the day when their personality starts to really show it's face.  You wonder what kind of kiddo he/she will be.  How he/she will react and deal with what life throws at them?  What will their personality be like....their mood, temper, passions, excitements, frustrations, skills.  Will they flee from you or stay close?  Will they be climbers or sit on the blanket and eat cheese cubes?  Will they dump toys or be content taking one toy out at a time?

When their little personalities start coming out we wonder...were they born that way or did we influence them.  The whole nature vs. nurture starts to weigh on our mind.   It is easy to hope for a little credit when they do things that make us proud...and it is very easy to blame nature on the little quirks that make our children human, unique, and ours.

Here are a few things I take credit for.... and a few things I don't....all of these are said with a giant smile and a little chuckle.
 
I like to think that the fact that our boys go to bed well has something to do with us... it is NOT just their personality or their need for sleep.

I like to think that I have made some choice with parenting that allows me to run errands at Target with both boys without the fear of a tantrum when we check out because they NEED candy. They always accept my reply, "not this time" with a shrug of the shoulders.

I will take all the credit for having boys that will travel 6 hours without the need to get out and run around, go potty, or feed on fast food.  That is all ME!

I like to think that I have something to do with the fact that Henry LOVES water.  He won't drink milk or juice but loves his water - all. day. long.

I like to think I have nothing to do with the fact that Henry is a picky eater because Charley isn't and we haven't done anything different with Henry - so how could that be my fault (wink! wink!).

It is not our fault AT ALL that Henry is still attached to his "ukkie" - that is ALL. HIM.

It is not anything that we did that has Charley struggling at times to play by himself.  It must be a personality trait that he was born with.

Today we went out for lunch...instead of stopping at 'Donalds' we went to a real restaurant.  I think it was one of Charley's first times really experiencing a salad bar.  He loved picking and choosing.  This is his second plate (meaning, this is what he went back for more of)....and I SWEAR that when I was pregnant with Charley, I turned to Ed one night, while I was devouring a big bowl of cookie dough ice cream, and I said confidently,

"OUR SON WILL EAT BEETS!"





27 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahah i LOVE IT! great post sarah!!!!!! i love the plate too-i would have had little hams on it too. tell charley his god mother would have put those little hams on her plate too. the beets? nahhh...mom must have never suggested that to us. HA> RR

Unknown said...

I think the same thing. Now that my daughter's personality is really starting to shine through I wonder how it's going to grow and change (and sometimes how I can change it because her spitting her food out is not something I'm ready for).

I can say with absolute certainty that the reason my kid sleeps is because of me. I will take all the credit because she was a terrible sleeper until I got involved.

Beth Zimmerman said...

What an adorable post! I miss those days! My baby is now 7 or 8 inches taller than me and away from home more than I would like. I know we only get to raise them with the goal of equipping them to stand on their own two feet but there are days when I would really like to stop the clock and remind myself to enjoy the moment! Keep taking those beautiful pictures and writing down the things that today it feels like you will never forget. Tomorrow comes too fast and while it is special in it's own way it is so different than yesterday or even today! :)

Shell said...

Go, mama!

I love your new look, btw.

Messy Mommy said...

Beets. Uck. :)

I also like to take credit for the good qualities in my children. The bad ones are my husband's fault. ;)

Laura said...

That is so cute.

I'm going to go ahead and take credit for everything Roo does well too. :)

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

I'll bite. Sure. I will take credit for the good things, but the bad things? Ah. that credit would have to go to my mom -she used to always say, "I hope you have one just like you."

Jen said...

I love that you take credit for things like sleep and car behavior. Go you! And that you won't take the "blame" for picky eaters, a clingy boy. You know your family and your influences, and for that you are a great mom.

Rebecca said...

Take all the credit you deserve. There is a lot that can be done with the "nuture" portion of the nature vs. nurture debate...I intend to do as much as possible!

Rebecca said...

BTW...did I mention that he's ADORABLE????

Hattie said...

Baaahahahaha! Great post! All the great things my boys do they get from me and all the bad personality traits they get from their father's side! j/j Ha!!! Beets. Wow. I won't even eat beets!

shellycoulter said...

What a fun post!

Anonymous said...

...and I was there to witness it. A second helping of beets, after fresh pineapple, a bowl of peaches, bread and ham on the first plate. Chocolate pudding for dessert and water to drink. It was a great lunch! Love, Grandma Barb

Anonymous said...

There is not much that I take credit for when it comes to my kiddos, the exception to that being their eating habits - my kids are the ones who have no idea that the grocery store hands out free cookies in the bakery, but will throw the mother of all tantrums in the produce department if I don't let them pick out an apple to bring home.

Great job, Momma!

Mrs. Micek said...

What a doll!! He is so stinkin cute! Way to go with the BEETS! I can only hope that someday my sweet girl will WILLINGLY CHOOSE something healthy! :)

Your doing a great job with yours!!!!

Oh and I now follow your cute blog and I just love it! :)

It Feels Like Chaos said...

That's awesome about the beets! Your boys are adorable! It is great to "meet" you; thanks for following my blog!

Heather said...

Hello! I saw that you commented on Ali's blog (Mommie Life) and thought I would check out your blog. I LOVE your reminder about living in the moment more with your children. That really struck a chord with me for some reason. Thanks for the reminder! I agree that it is SO important to not get caught up in the daily grind, and let these precious years pass you by.

Life Without Pink said...

First I LOVE the name of your blog! I sometimes my kids do things and I say "I'm not responsible for that!", where do they come up with it? And you are right about living in the moment with your children. Its so easy to get caught up in everyday life {I know I am guilty}, they are only little for so long.

MollyinMinn said...

He is so cute. And I am impressed for sure. None of my kids have ever touched them!

Danifred said...

I am only taking credit for the good things they do, you know, so that I look like Mother Of The Year!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

what a cute post! You write very well I might add. I also am a fan of your blog name. I too have a love for naps. It is the only time I have to get things done that I WANT to. Cute post!

Malika said...

Stopping by from Friday Follow. Such a cute post (of course, it would be with such a cute little boy in it:))

I choose to think that all the wonderful attributes of my child came from me or my husband and the rest must have skipped a generation from my in-laws-lol.

Joy@TPMG said...

I laughed as I read this. I always want to think that we had something to do with all of our daughter's positive traits and not so much with her negative ones. I wish my daughter ate beets.

Organic Girl said...

Great Post Happy Friday Follow:)

Brandi said...

Very cute! None of mine will beets, but that may simply because their mother looks at them like they come from another planet and will not touch them. The beets, not the kids!

Happy Follow Friday. Now Following.

www.fivemonkies.com

The Sierra Home Companion said...

I love the tittle of your blog. I have two kids under the age of 5 and I regularly take naps.:) I'm following from Follow Friday.

Cara Riggles said...

I found you with Friday Follow. I subscribed by email. :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails