Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Parenting Staple...


If you are a parent you probably already make this...but if you don't you should try it. Kids love JELLO. Well, most do. There are some kids that hate it. I have a feeling that Henry will opt out tonight. It has been awhile since I made it. But Finger Jello has been a treat that I have grown up with. My mom used to make it often. She would cut it up into small squares...yummy. It isn't full of nutrition but there are plenty of snacks that are far worse! So here is the finger jello recipe that I grew up with. It is NOT the recipe on the box. When people make the jigglers on the box I am not impressed. They usually are mushy, and aren't great for kids.

Try these! We cut them out into shapes using cookie cutters. There is even a restaurant on our way up to Ed's parents that has jello on their kids menu. They bring you a plate with some cookie cutters...perfect for an appetizer for kids...keeps them busy! Sadly, they must use the jello box jiggler recipe because the last time we ordered it you couldn't even cut out the shapes. I should send them our recipe! Here it is...

Finger Jello

2 packages of knox unflavored gelatin (I always have several boxes in my pantry)
1 6 oz. package of jello or 2 3 oz. packages
2 1/2 cups of water

Dissolve unflavored gelatin in 1 cup of cold water - set aside.
In a pan bring 1 cup of water to boil.
Add jello.
Bring to boil and remove from heat.
Add gelatin mixture. Stir and add 1/2 cup of cold water.

Pour into a greased pan (I use a 9x13 glass pan). Set aside in fridge for ONLY 2 hours! That's all it takes...you can leave it in more but some jello recipes take 4 hours...so I am bragging that these only take 2! Cut into squares or shapes using cookie cutters. Store in air tight container in fridge. Don't throw away the scraps....they are just as yummy!

With the flu season starting up I hope this recipe can be in your back pocket. We're having it tonight with our pineapple / ham homemade pizza! I'll add a picture when we have one to share!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember those little squares! so funny that mom would cut it that way!!!!! RR

SarahMurray said...

I just found your blog the other day and today, my 20 month old son wasn't feeling well and wasn't eating much. Here was my solution. I remember eating these little squares as a child...but this was much more fun for my 4 year old and the 20 month old came around to help too. Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails