Monday, August 17, 2009

Plenty Of Pesto!

For the last couple of years I have committed to making a large batch of pesto to freeze in serving size portions in our freezer in August. I use a recipe from my friend's mom Marty. Yesterday we went to the farmer's market and bought four big bunches of basil for $4.00.

Step 1.

Pinch the leaves off so there isn't stem and wash in cold water.


Step 2.

Dry leaves with salad spinner (ours doesn't work well) so I pat dry with a towel. Then let them lay on a towel until completely dry. If you aren't using them right away you can gently fold them in the paper towel and place in fridge...but best to just make it right away.



Step 3.

Use the recipe and add the other ingredients. Use a food processor to produce the wonderful pasta topper. Usually I freeze in ice cube trays and then pop them out and put in Ziploc bags ready for anytime we are in the mood. However, the boys LOVE pesto on their pasta so this year we are freezing them in larger portioned containers.

3 comments:

Grandma Charlie said...

You inspired me, Sarah. Today will be making pesto day for me.

Anonymous said...

Mike and I just made a few batches of pesto the other night with the basil from our 'patio' garden and froze it. So yummy!

Becca

Anonymous said...

You are making me hungry! Sushi, pesto! Yum!
Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails