Thursday, January 5, 2012

What's for dinner? Cowboy Caviar


My good friend Molly makes this when we get together.
I have brought it to each holiday gathering we had this season.
It went over well.
I am determined to make it more often because it is a nice healthy alternative to snacking on candy :)
Cowboy Caviar

1 15oz. can of black eyed peas -rinsed and drained
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (2)
1/4 cup of finely chopped red sweet pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
dash of salt
Tortilla chips or crackers

Combine peas, onions, pepper, garlic, oil, vinegar, jalapeno pepper, black pepper, salt, cover and chill over night.  This dip gets better overtime.

Makes 2 cups and I always double it.
I serve with tortilla chips.

And from what I hear - black eyed peas are good luck on new years! 
That means I am going to have a lucky 2012!

2 comments:

CanadianMama said...

Oh this looks yummy and I was totally intrigued by the title! I can't wait to try it!!

Danifred said...

We had black eyed peas on New Years Day. I like to mix mine with creamed spinach, rice and hot sauce. Yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails