Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday's Snow Storm

We got hit with what they are calling the "December Blizzard" and when they display this on the screen on our local news channel they cue the dramatic music that makes you think something HUGE is taking place.  And yes, it was huge today - tons of snow.  Snow and blowing.  The blowing made it hard to know how much we were getting.  But rumor has it we got hit with more than 18 inches of snow.

Every time Ed went out to shovel (YES, SHOVEL, we don't have a blower.) he swears he shovelled a foot....but he knows there was constant blowing.  He shovelled 4 times I think.  He is sore - a good sore he said.

The boys joined him twice but the wind was fierce and they came in with icicles hanging from their eye lashes and eye brows.

We baked cookies, did a craft, played some Wii and board games, watched a little Christmas movie, napped, puttered with our own joys (my new camera), and by the end of the day were all a little snappy with each other.  It was a lot of cooped up time.  But it was also very cozy.  We watched as the blown snow piled up on our back sliding door window...it is now more than half way covering it!

Sadly, we didn't get to ring the bell for the Salvation Army as planned.  I guess it was the first time in a long time that the Salvation Army actually called off their ringers.  Ed did attempt to journey there against my pleading and tears....but returned home humbly after a few miles.

So here is my attempt at using my camera and pushing myself to learn more about aperture and ISO and shutter speed and lenses.  Some things are starting to click - and I am starting to remember what they mean.  It is all about trial and error and learning from trying different settings.  I am going to try and challenge myself to post a picture or two each day, possibly, without words...to challenge myself to play each day with it. 


So tonight with the Beef Stroganoff that was cooking all day in the crock-pot, I made myself this....non-alcoholic OF COURSE!  but festive.  Archer Farms Pomegranate Strawberry Italian soda and some Pellegrino sparkling water.  Putting it in a fancy glass makes it so much more festive and pretty.   (My friend Katie floated some pomegranate seeds and lemon zest in it...and added some alcohol in last weekend for some friends). 

And as I sit here and sip another one that Ed delivered...I look out as he wanders back over to the neighbors with some tools where I think Ed said a $700 snowplow was bought today.  And watching four grown boys lean over it...I can only imagine the grunting and other manly noises being made.


May your house be warm, your travels safe, and your day's end quiet and calm. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture! Are those snowflakes in the background?

Kim

Stepping On Cheerios said...

That does look delicious, even without the alcohol. We may get some snow tonight, we'll see. Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

$850-I cant believe those things cost that much. Thanks to Ed to come and check out the situation. My dad and Ben will be going back to Menards today.
Haley

The Tompkins Family said...

The drink looks and sounds delicious!

What kind of camera did you get?

Heather (One Take On Life) said...

We have an Ariens snow blower and it is worth every penny we paid for it. The great ones aren't cheap.

Sounds like you had a great Saturday snowed in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails