Monday, March 15, 2010

For the Love of Spring!



Spring is a time for new beginnings...buds on the trees, grass slowly turning green, flowers popping up and blooming. It begins looking dirty, muddy, and gloomy but soon becomes a temptation, luring us out to enjoy the fresh breeze and sunshine on our faces.

This past weekend spring showed it's face. We were given warmer temperatures that melted ALMOST all the snow away. The sun was shining and my boys begged to head outside. I knew it was spring because they were occupied with bubbles for almost 45 minutes.

I now realize that pulling out the yard toys should be done slowly. They almost seem new to the kids. So why not take advantage of that.   They did bubbles for 45 minutes and then we got out some bikes.  Henry called his "motorcycle" and Charley gave his bike a good run.  I have a feeling that this summer the bike will be big on Charley's outside to do list.

Spring is a time when I think about my role as a parent and how I can incorporate the outdoors into our daily life...will it be to distract from the late afternoon 'bewitching' hour. Or will it wear us out for naps and quiet time in the afternoon. It is easier to make quick spur of the moment plans with friends by meeting at the park.   Hikes, walks, parks, picnic tables, hammocks, bikes, scooters, docks for fishing, exploring in the woods...the list is endless.

Spring also brings the ring of dirt in the bathtub - which has been missing since November!  It means clothing is stained with mud and grass stains.  Shoes are caked with mud and sand pours from them abundantly.  Knees get skinned and hands are visibly dirty!  Spring leaves it's mark. 

Spring has sprung - and yet, I know that here in Minnesota we might get one more big blast of winter.  But it will melt quickly and soon enough - it will be here to stay!

My favorite part of spring is this:
A comfy chair in the sun, my phone, a good book, the sound of my two boys puttering around, and a cold beer!

13 comments:

The Gardiner Family said...

Love the photos!

I would have a hard time getting out of that chair so close to the ground! :)

Jamie said...

Love the photos. So cute.

Shell said...

Woohoo! That's what I love about spring, too. I was out in my chair with the boys this morning...though, I just had water since we were out before 9am. ;)

Shell said...

Woohoo! That's what I love about spring, too. I was out in my chair with the boys this morning...though, I just had water since we were out before 9am. ;)

Shell said...

Woohoo! That's what I love about spring, too. I was out in my chair with the boys this morning...though, I just had water since we were out before 9am. ;)

Laura said...

Love all your pictures! I hope to get a comfy chair to sit out on our porch with and watch Roo play in the yard. I can't wait!

Unknown said...

That picture made me want to come and move in with you (or right next door if that's too creepy). This weekend we had nothing but rain and winds so strong it knocked down trees. I'm so ready to put away my sweaters!

Anonymous said...

Ah! Patio chair, a beverage and the warm sun. Joy!

Kim

Messy Mommy said...

LOVE IT!

shellycoulter said...

I love spring! Cute photos!

Barb said...

Nice chair! Fun photos!! I'm smiling.

Heather (One Take On Life) said...

I love the photo of Henry, so cute! I too love hanging out in the driveway, although ours slopes more so a little more tricky for Maddy.

CB said...

We have been having so much fun with this sudden burst of spring. So much fun to be home with the kids and to just try to think of new adventures everyday.

I love, love, love this collage. You are totally inspiring me to take the time to see what I can create with that picnik program.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails