Friday, July 10, 2009

My New Favorite Thing...


Last weekend up north Grandma Charlie made a really good salad...a salad she was served when visiting Mama Becca and Daddy Mike. Becca got this recipe out of a magazine or something. IT WAS SO DELICIOUS! She emailed it to me right away...thank you! And I made it tonight with our chicken and corn on the cob. I am so proud of myself because our salads are usually lettuce and dressing...with the occasional crouton, carrot,cucumber, or radish. So this was fancy. I think it is a beautiful salad. It has a unique grain in it called Quinoa. Quinoa can stand alone as a complete protien grain. This salad can be a meal in itself. Yummy!

Greek Quinoa with Avocados

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup water
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
Spinach leaves
2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together quinoa, tomatoes, shredded spinach, and onion

3. In a small bowl, whish together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Mix with quinoa mixture.

4. Place extra spinach on plates with avocado slices and quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with feta.


P.S. I skipped the feta because I don't care for it. And I just used lettuce and spinach as my base salad instead of shredded spinach. I am bringing this to make at the cottage mom and dad...and dad you will try this and like it! YUM!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails