Many things have made me happy already today and there are many things I am looking forward to about the rest of the day...
1. Waking up with two happy boys ...very close to 7am!
2. Heading out for the zoo - just me and the boys. Spontaneous, spur of the moment, and simple. Sun shining, suntan lotion on all three of us, and lunch packed! A free outing!
3. A call from my good friend Molly. She is the proud mother of another girl! Mallory Skye, 9 lb. 1 oz. 21 inches long! Can't wait to meet her!
4. Nap time for Henry, mellow time for Charley, and time to get a few things done around the house.
5. And I am looking forward to this evening. Ed and I are having date night at a mexican restaurant we can walk to. Bring on the chips and salsa and pitcher of margaritas!
These past few weeks I have decided to try and slow down our daytime lifestyle and be more simple. I know I have signed up Charley for several summer activities...all of which begin at 8am and so I want to remind myself before all of this starts that when I chose to stay home with my boys I was committing to being home with my boys-- not out and about all the time, not hosting playgroups all the time, not travelling all over, not scheduling our time every day. I have noticed a difference with Charley's ability to keep himself busy, he has even started choosing to nap, our days are happier, and I am enjoying being home more. I was getting so wrapped up in having kids over to play with Charley that I was losing the chance to just play or be a family here. That is not to say that we still love having friends and playdates....just not every day! It is going to be a great summer and I am vowing that with all the busy activities that we don't lose touch with the simple summertime experiences - riding the bike, walking to the park, picnic on the deck, sandbox play, sprinklers, chalk, friends, and more.