Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is an Alpaca?



Today was a big day! Charley was to go on his first field trip to an Alpaca farm. The bigger excitement was that he was finally going to get to ride a bus. I have been torn on what to do. I wanted to go but it is hard to find a place for Henry. Parents weren't going to ride the bus so that made me a little disappointed...but he has to grow up so I had decided that I would miss this and just send him on his way. So I mentioned the trip to Ed and he jumped at it right away and said he would go! I will admit that I could not imagine Ed on a field trip with a bunch of preschoolers. I knew it would be adorable and that Charley would love it. But I just couldn't imagine Ed trying to keep up with a bunch of 4 year olds all running through mud in different directions. I didn't hesitate for a second though because this is one of the many reasons I love him. He is a very active daddy.

Last night I walked into the room and it sounded like he was talking to Ed about the trip. He had Ed write down on a post it note: Do they have fences? He was going to bring this to school to ask his teacher. So I asked Charley, "Do you even know what an alpaca is?" And he said in a snotty tone, "Well now I do." And then he shook his head and rolled his eyes. So I asked, "What is it?" He replied, "It is like a donkey kind of thing." And then shook his head and walked off. He was a 15 year old for a few moments there. Freaked me out!

So today Ed picked up Olivia, our preschool carpool partner. He went on the field trip. He was in charge of four preschoolers. He had a good time. He said he would chaperone again! Success! Oh - and he took some pictures! WHAT A GUY! Ed said that Charley wasn't too impressed with the whole Alpaca part of the trip. He just kept asking when they got to go back on the bus. HA!

When he was dropped off he came running in the door and told me all about the bus ride. Then he opened his back pack and handed me a ziploc bag full of brown hair. GROSS! He said, "That is fur from the alpaca. I want to play with it!"

HELL NO! I double bagged it immediately in fear of it opening. I seriously looked like a rodent was in the bag. What were they thinking sending that home with four year olds? I feel so sorry for the mom or dad who didn't have it thrown at them (in the middle of the kitchen). Because that would mean their child opened it up first, dropped it, and their house now has alpaca hair all over. GROSS! Charley did inform me that we could use it to make a sweater.

Not only did Ed go on the field trip but he once again got in the pool with Henry for swimming lessons. Henry isn't a big fan of swimming lessons. So he fusses most of the time. Reaching for me up in the balcony. So tonight after swimming Ed said, "It is like skiing. I want them to ski so I will ski. You are the swimmer. You should be in the pool." He is right. That is my one sport. So I guess I will get in the pool on Thursday.

But hats off to me for finding such a great man to be my best friend and life partner. He is not only a great husband but an amazing dad. I am so proud of the daddy he has become. I fell in love with him again today!

2 comments:

Barb said...

WOW! And I say that sincerely.

Charlie said...

I agree, Barb. WOW! I'm happy to be that daddy's mom, and know that he is loved so much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails