Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring Break Saturday : All Aboard!




This morning we boarded the Chicago Metra in Harvard, IL and took the train to Des Plaines, IL. I grew up in Des Plaines, IL and lived there until I was in third grade. I have many fond memories of the people and places. Today I got to experience a little of both and share it with my boys. We got off the train and were greeted by a good friend of my mom's...and ours...Kathy. She got there early, even in the cold weather, to meet us off the train. Whoops of celebration and hugs were given by Kathy and my mom. Then we all walked to one of my favorite restaurants as a child...The Choo Choo. It is a famous diner. My memories are of the two waitresses (one with black hair which she wore in a bun and the other with white hair). They weren't the most friendly ladies but they were always there ready to deliver a great grilled cheese and tator tots. The food is delivered via a small electric train. It wraps around the counter and goes back into the kitchen. The Train announces it's upcoming arrival by letting out a whoo! whoo!

Today, my four year old son, sat at the counter on the same stools and ordered a grilled cheese, chocolate shake that was bigger than he was, and some fries (no more tator tots). He sat sandwiched between his god-parents (Uncle Mike and Aunt Raina). He sat there and enjoyed every second. He loved the train. He devoured his food, and enjoyed some deep conversation with those around him. I sat in the booth behind him with Henry, my mom, and our Des Plaines friends Kathy and her daughter Colleen. What a treat! Always good to giggle with them.

The Choo Choo no longer has the horse that you could ride for a dime but now they have a little bus. It was a cold day but once we were inside the Choo Choo our hearts warmed with the spirit of the place. This restaurant is located blocks from the train station. It is worth the five dollar trip to experience the train ride and restaurant.

The boys loved the train. Henry was quiet and happy sitting on my lap. Charley took a turn sitting by everyone. At one point he was content sitting on my mom's lap, watching the world zoom by, while chanting chugga chugga chugga!

This day was my favorite of all of our days at my mom and dads this spring break. It was anticipated, it was shared with good friends and family, and it once again proved what fantastic boys I have. They were great listeners, patient, polite, and calm.

Today was also the last time we will see Uncle Mike and Becca before their family of two becomes a family of three. Morgan is expected to enter the world in the next couple of weeks. You can tell they were thankful for a little activity to keep their minds off the upcoming life changing event. They are ready and they are going to be great parents.

Thanks for sharing today with us mom, Raina, Andy, Mike, Becca, Colleen, and Kathy. The only thing that could have made this day any better...warmer temps and of course Daddy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a wonderful time!!!! Thanks for letting us share the day with you.
Colleen

The Gardiner Family said...

I love the picture "a boy waits!" Sounds like such a lovely day! We will have to chat about Des Plaines. I used to work in Des Plaines when we lived in that area. Have a safe trip back!

The Gardiner Family said...

I love the picture "a boy waits!" Sounds like such a lovely day! We will have to chat about Des Plaines. I used to work in Des Plaines when we lived in that area. Have a safe trip back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails