Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Preschool...

Charley has been going to his preschool class for alittle over a month now. He goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoon. He loves it. He adores his teacher Ms. Heather. He is just starting to name kids in his class. He beams when arriving and departing. When I drop him off I often sit there and take in the moment because my "big" boy seems so little when he is in the school. The things he chooses to tell his teacher, the way his cheeks turn pink, and what all the other kids choose to say is so cute. As I sit there and watch as the class of friends grows I wonder how Ms. Heather does it. My experience teaching first grade has shown that even at the age of 6 or 7 children can't always sit still or understand that it is the teachers turn to talk and that they can't tell every story that relates to every topic discussed. So I wondered what it would be like with preschool.

Well today Ed's mom was here and so she watched Henry and I got to go in and volunteer. I can't believe it! I volunteered in my son's classroom. I have been wanting to get in there. When I was a teacher I always wondered why the stay at home mom's weren't in the classroom more helping out. But now I get it. They all had one, two, or even three kids at home that they had to get taken off their hands in order to come into my chaotic classroom. Anyways...I understand now. They always say you become a different teacher when you become a parent because you see the other side of things.

Anyways, getting back to Charley's class. I entered to a circle of 19 3 and 4 year olds all listening to a story, commenting periodically about their lives, but sitting still. Then they transitioned into centers and the students all chose where they would go first and I didn't get to see how they moved from station to station...really curious.... but everytime I popped into the classroom Charley was busy and often times at a different station.

I can see how teaching preschool can be exhausting but also so good for your soul because you are working with these little miracles that are so excited with the new world and you get to introduce them to the world of education. Anyways...I truly enjoyed my time today and hope that I can do it again soon...I just need to find a place for my Henry to nap.

Ms. Heather if you read this. Thanks for all you do. Charley is lucky.

1 comment:

Sarah, Steve, Braden and Olivia said...

Wow Sarah what an awesome experience! I'd love to do that - to see Braden in his environment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails